Tuesday, September 15, 2009

The First Fresh Hell

The first circle of hell I wish to discuss is how 'high maintenance' (hm) has become some sort of religion. It's not necessarily people doing the hm behaviors, it's their incessant need to let everyone know about it. People are mani - pedi - waxing - tanning - highlighting - shopping proselytizers. I get it; I really, really do. I love a good pedicure. I cover my grays as often as possible (Thanks, Shan!). I get how lovely it is to have someone do something for you that you have neither the time nor skill to do for yourself. I also understand how important that is to all the Mothers/Wives. They are busy and stressed and selfless. They deserve the love. So do the single girls, for various reasons and motivations, I don't need to discuss here and now. But WHY must we tell everyone about it?

The constant discussion of pampering oneself smacks of elitism. First, one must have the money to do these things. Secondly, sometimes more preciously, one must have the time. These folks want everyone else to know they are keeping up with the Hiltons and doing these oh-so-fabulous sounding things.

I'm all for the 'pampering' (ugh! that word...pamper is what you put on a baby's bottom). I'm just fed up with talking talking talking about the pampering. Dare I say, BRAGGING about it.

Woo hooo... someone scraped the gunk from under your toenails. Thanks for sharing. But you can stop now...please.

4 comments:

  1. That is some FUNNY sh!t Lisa!!! This is gonna be my favorite blog EVER!!! Love ya!!! Jill

    ReplyDelete
  2. AWESOME!

    Welcome to the blogosphere!

    Can I add you to my blog roll?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen to that, sister.

    ReplyDelete